Saturday, August 21, 2010

A Brand New Plan

Well, I'm home on leave for a couple weeks. I am still getting my lifts in, but I am being very loose with my diet. It's okay though, gotta live, ya know? I have spent the last month working on the basic lifts prescribed in Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program, and I have been studying about nutrition. From what I have learned in the gym, so far, and from studying and practicing better nutrition, I have designed a program that I will implement when I return to my duty station in Africa.

I've nailed down my goals a bit more as well, and they may seem a little on the conservative side, but that's okay, if I achieve them before the end date I have set, then, guess what? that's right, I'll set new goals. They are as follows:

Squat: 315
Press: 165
Deadlift: 425
Bench: 225

these are all for working sets, not 1RM's

bodyfat: 20%

Right now, I'm working with 215 in the Squat, 130 Press, 350 DL, and 155 Bench, and my bf is 30%. If I continue to progress as I have thus far, these goals are definitely achievable. I have been adding 5lbs. to all my lifts regularly each workout. Though I know that I will stall, eventually, I have also been adjusting my sets and reps, sometimes doing doubles and triples with back-0ff sets, and putting thought into assistance exercises. I will find a way to progress, no matter what.

Here is my workout schedule:

M, W, F, alternating:

workout A:
Squat
Bench Press
Barbell Row (assistance)

workout B:
Press
Deadlift
High Pull (assistance)

I have taken to doing low-intensity cardio (walking mostly) as well. I do this for a long duration, an hr to an hr and a half, for a little extra fat-burn, being careful not to cross the threshold into a more glycogenic pathway by keeping the intensity just above normal. At first, I was doing this on non-lifting days, but, surprisingly, I needed recovery from that as well, and it was hampering my performance, particularly in the Squat, so I started doing it immediately following my lifts, which corrected that. I may even start to do it following my PWO meal, to make sure that I don't miss my window.

That brings me to diet. Ahhhh, diet. I've been combining all the great advice and tips I've gotten from many different sources, and going to try and use it all to my best advantage. I'm also going to start using a little supplementation, very conservative on that though, since I am not a competitor or any kind of professional athlete, just a regular dude who enjoys lifting and wants to get strong and fit. Here's my nutrition plan:

Basic rules: no breakfast, just coffee, my first meal will be no earlier than 4hrs after waking, and no carbs pre-workout.

For the first nine days, beginning on September 8th, I will take in less than 30g carbs/day, and most of them will be post-workout. I will not be using supplements during this time either, this period is to let my chemistry adjust to burning primarily fat as a fuel source.

On the tenth day, I will consume plenty of carbs, still post workout, but the volume will be closer to 60 or even 100g. This will induce an insulin spike in order to increase metabolism.

Then the routine starts:

On all days, I will consume a high-fat, high-protein, no-carb 1st meal; moderate-fat, high-protein, no-carb 2nd meal (pre-workout); post-workout will be moderate to high-carb, high protein, no or low-fat.

This is also when I begin supplementation:

On lifting days, I will have a post-workout shake consisting of whey protein, leucine and creatine. I will also consume something with simple sugar to induce an insulin spike while in a heightened anabolic state.

On non-lifitng days, my last meal of the day will be a shake consisting of whey protein and oats (less than 30g carbs) with leucine and creatine. The leucine will really help here by simulating the effects of an insulin spike without the carbs.

On every Friday, I will consume a larger volume of carbs post-workout. This will likely include a sandwich if either eggs or meat. This is to induce another large insulin spike to keep metabolism high.

Other supplements will include Fish Oil, Fiber, and a multi-vitamin.


Welp, that's pretty much it. I plan to do this throughout the long-ass 7-month stretch I got before I return to civilization. Of course, I will make necessary adjustments as I go along. It is always wise to never stop learning. I feel very confident about this plan. I have already seen some amazing results from what I have been doing so far. The support I have received has been invaluable.

I appreciate any criticism of this plan. I would love to hear what anyone has to say.


NEVER GO QUIET!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment