Friday, August 6, 2010

My Toast got Burnt

Apologies for the lateness in posting. I was just freaking tired as fuckity fuck. I finally added the crucial element I was missing from my fitness program: HIIT. I started doing metcons with Gene McCreight, aka The RAT, on Tuesday the 3rd of August, and I have been drained and broken ever since, but in a healthy way. My lifting program, ala Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength Basic Barbell Program, is on MWF, while I will do the metcons with The RAT on Tue and Thu. I was concerned that I would not have enough energy, or maybe too sore to lift effectively after only a night's rest, but that was NOT the case. my lifting workout on Wednesday the 4th was excellent, increases in poundage all around, and good energy and stamina. Adding HIIT was a very, VERY good idea.

I am also changing how I am posting my workouts. I will only post my work sets, not the warmups, and I will not post total volume. I just thought that was a little much.

I also re-read the Programming section of SS and streamlined my lifting routine. It was taking too long - sometimes 3hrs. - because I was not paying attention to how much rest time I was taking, and I was allowing too big of a jump in poundages from warmup to work sets. I still start with an empty bar, but I am making a much smoother transition now, and getting a better feel for the proper poundages and how much to increase.

Squat:
180 x 5 x 3

Bench Press:
145 x 5 x 3

Deadlift:
330 x 5 x 1

Plank Holds:
5 x 30sec.


Just gettin' better and better. Still got about 30+ lbs. of stubborn, disgusting fat to lose. My percentage now is in the mid-20's. My goal is to be under 15%. I expect to acheive that before the end of this deployment. I am always looking to improve, and I now think about diversifying my diet while sticking to its principles: high fat, moderate protein, low carb. I need to focus more on proper rest, which can be hard to come by here without the help of drugs...for all the internet nazis, I mean the LEGAL kind, gheesh! get a life you guys.

Going on leave in a couple weeks!!! YAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!! Though I appreciate the chance to get my shit together without distraction, and having a job is very nice, I really do not like this place, it's like being in prison, but, hey, what better to do in lockup than get yo swole on, right? gotta watch the cornhole though. Anyways, back to leave...I accept that I do not want to maintain the strictness in my diet I am currently following while I am on leave. However, I also do not want to fall apart. So I have given it much thought, and, at first, I decided to just take that time completely off from exercising, but quickly said "fuck that!" Being in the military I have access to the gym at a local air force base, which has a decent weight room, so I will keep with my program, even if only on a maintenance schedule for that time. I will also do a little more moderate-intesity cardio to mitigate some fat gain. The most important thing of all this is that I am the one in control. The fact that I am putting serious thought and consideration into this confirms that the changes I am making are indeed permanent.

I refuse to let myself down anymore.

NEVER QUIT!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment