Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Workout A

First day of Mark Rippetoe's Starting Strength program. For the first time, I actually did a workout that I came away from feeling like it made sense. I'm tracking my total workout volume as well to keep me from getting boxed in to only seeing things in terms of reps and sets. Looking at volume also has me thinking about fine-tuning my diet to support the amount of work I actually am doing in a given day.

Squat:

45 x 5 x 2 (empty bar)
95 x 5 x 1
115 x 3 x 1
135 x 2 x 1

165 x 5 x 3

total work: 4,015lbs.

Bench Press:

45 x 5 x 2
65 x 5 x 1
95 x 3 x 1
115 x 2 x 1

135 x 5 x 3

total work: 3,315lbs.

Deadlift:

135 x 5 x 2
155 x 5 x 1
185 x 3 x 1
225 x 2 x 1

315 x 5 x 1

total work: 4,705lbs.

Chin-ups:

body weight x 1 x 10

Good Mornings:

65 x 8 x 3

2 mile run


My confidence is really going up, and it's reflected in the way I'm carrying myself, chest out, shoulders back, taking every step as though I mean it. I even went up to a female today, grabbed ahold of her rear end and said "firm!" to which she quickly ran off to call the authorities, but the phones were down. That's the kind of good fortune a person with confidence has.

Beginning in August, I will be doing conditioning workouts on non-lifting days with Gene McCreight and the RATB's. I am very much looking forward to getting my ass kicked from that. Speaking of Gene, I cannot thank him and several others for their amazing support. To have dedicated professionals, whom I admire greatly, offer so many tips, advice and encouragement makes me want to cry like a little bitch. You all know who you are, and as soon as I get my nerd juice flowing, I will be adding links to your sites.


VIOLENCE OF ACTION!!

3 comments:

  1. Great job. Those are great numbers.

    I'm going to be starting StrongLifts 5X5 next week. I'm going to bookmark your page and watch your progress as well.

    MDW

    ReplyDelete
  2. nice so why am I the last to know about said blogsite...hmmmmmm Its coming out of you in sweat and tears...get ready to CHALK up!!!!!
    muuhaahaahaa!!!!

    ReplyDelete